JOB DESCRIPTION OVERVIEW:
The Legal Operations Counsel is principally responsible for advising designated geographic divisions of TeamHealth on a range of legal issues including transactions, contracting, litigation avoidance and management, managed care, human resources, regulatory, compliance and other issues specific to the assigned geographic divisions. This person will work and communicate with division leadership and personnel, always keeping the Chief Operations Counsel and/or General Counsel informed of pending legal issues. This role requires willingness to be part of a team, flexibility, and strong verbal and written communication skills. This position reports directly to the Chief Operations Counsel and indirectly to the Executive Vice President and General Counsel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Drafts and/or reviews employment, independent contractor and hospital contracts and other legal documents and makes recommendations, renders legal advice.
- Reviews state laws/works with local counsel to modify/improve agreements.
- Oversees the completion of various federal and state government reporting requirements.
- Oversees legal function relating to assigned geographic divisions of TeamHealth, including preparing, negotiating, and reviewing contracts of all types, in addition to serving as the primary legal advisor for the assigned geographic divisions.
- Researches, or coordinates with local counsel, to review appropriate federal and state laws applicable to the assigned business division.
- Interacts with clients and/or their legal counsel and provides verbal and/or written response to legal issues affecting division and/or division clients.
- Advises management with respect to legal issues, compliance policies, regulatory issues, employment law matters, intellectual property issues, state and federal corporate filings, conflict of interest policies, corporate structure and organizing documents and other issues, as needed.
- Interacts with client management and departments to understand problems and provide appropriate response.
- Assists in the avoidance of and management of litigation that affects assigned business divisions in conjunction with the Company’s Chief Litigation Counsel.
- Acts as a liaison between division client members and outside organizations, or individuals; assists in the mediation and resolution of disagreements between the Company’s divisions and providers, hospitals, debtors and related parties, or other outside organizations or individuals.
- Interfaces with and provides general legal support and expertise to clients, management and departments:
- Ensures compliance with regulatory matters including HIPAA, HITECH, Medicare, Medicaid, clinic licensure issues, and related issues.
- Tracks relevant and material changes in federal and state laws and regulations relating to health care and identifies potential changes relating to client operations to ensure compliance.
- Assists defense counsel in medical malpractice cases against the Company.
- Reviews discovery filed on behalf of the Company in medical malpractice litigation, preparing and enforcing guidelines for outside counsel to follow when defending the company or its affiliates in medical malpractice matters and litigation.
- Handles special projects, as assigned by the Chief Operations Counsel or Executive Vice President and General Counsel.
Location/Region: Knoxville, TN (US)