Arizona State University
Parking & Transit Service
Requisition ID#: 43486BR
ASU Parking and Transit Services is seeking to fill an evening Maintenance Technician position at our Tempe Campus. The Maintenance Technician performs preventative maintenance on equipment, repairs parking mechanisms, checks the status of the gate boxes and all equipment located in the structures on campus.
Working hours and schedule are: Monday through Friday, 2:00-10:30pm. Occasionally required to work on Saturdays. Summer hours and breaks may vary.
The successful candidate will need to complete comprehensive training for this position before being moved to the evening position. Training will take place Monday – Friday, 5:30am – 2:00pm for several weeks until proficiency is reached.
$12.69 - $13.64 per hour; DOE
- Routinely checks on the gate boxes and equipment of all of our structures at the ASU Tempe campus
- Responsible for the installation, maintenance, programming of several devices including pay by space machines, meters, gate boxes, pay on foot machines, etc.
- Installs variety of parking related equipment such as speed bumps, bollards, delineators, etc.
- Will be dispatched to repair equipment in the field and assist customers when necessary
- Other maintenance duties will occur during a normal working day including lot striping, barricading, cleaning
- Releases Vehicle Immobilizers on impounded vehicles in the field
- Performs pre-operational inspection of carts, trucks, power washer, painting equipment and sweeper prior to use
- Performs light maintenance on golf carts to include battery watering, tire changing, vehicle washing, cart bulb changing
- Conducts inspections of parking lots and structures
- Accurately records all activities completed during a normal work day, turn in activity log at end of shift
- Submits completed work orders or any additional documentation to supervisor at end of shift
- Tracks and reports inventory supplies – paint, parts, tools, etc.
- Reviews needed materials with Supervisor to determine what equipment or materials are needed for projects
- Sign installation – follow ADA regulations concerning height of sign; install signs according to PTS standards; maintain inventory of supplies and equipment necessary to maintain and install signs; use correct sign poles and bases during sign installation
- General upkeep of structures, surface lots and walking paths (sweeping, power washing, painting, etc.). Remove cobwebs with duster/extension pole throughout facilities
- Participates in graffiti abatement by removing or painting areas as needed
- Picks up recyclable materials and places them in appropriate containers; rolls recycle containers to curbside locations for weekly pickup; retrieves containers later in the day
- Sprays for weeds and insects using unrestricted chemicals as required
- Conducts analysis and prepares reports
- Uses math skills
- Repairs equipment
- Completes manual and electronic forms
- Tracks data
- Prepares Correspondence
- Will be cross-trained in other functions to provide optimum customer service
- Other duties as assigned
Two years of general maintenance experience; OR, any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience in a maintenance position (2 years)
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic maintenance repair
- Experience in diagnosing problems in basic mechanical equipment
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- One year parking industry experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of ASU campus and parking areas
- Experience in handling cash
- Experience in communicating and interacting with the public
- Experience with high levels of customer service resolution practices
- Evidence of a valid Arizona Driver’s License, an MVR will be conducted
- Works in extreme weather conditions (hot, cold, rainy, dusty, windy, dirty)
- Walks and stands for extensive periods of time
- Uses office equipment
- Uses a computer
- Uses a two-way radio
- Regularly lifts up to 50 pounds
- Drives an ASU vehicle/golf cart which requires getting in and out of the vehicle frequently
- May be exposed to safety hazards and dangerous tools and equipment; safety precautions must be followed including use of safety equipment
Parking and Transit Services (PTS) plays an integral role in support of the development of the Arizona State University by managing the parking and commuter options on the four campuses. PTS operates numerous shuttle, bus, car-sharing and carpool programs to provide sustainable transportation options to the campus community. These services assist ASU students, faculty, and staff in traveling to, around and between campuses. PTS employees work in a dynamic and customer-service oriented department.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 90,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Employment Verification Statement:
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement:
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement:
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply:
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
Applicant must provide three business related references; one current supervisor and two former supervisors; coworker will only be accepted if work history does not allow for three supervisors. Personal references are not accepted.
Applicant must provide a cover letter expressing interest in the position.
To apply please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs/ click "External Applicant" under Jobs at ASU, enter Req Id# 43486BR
Location/Region: Tempe, AZ (US - 85281)