TheThermoforming Operator works at the direction of the ProductionSenior Lead and the Production Supervisor to ensure that the company safely andefficiently produces the highest quality products. This person is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of all thermoforming and/orextrusion production equipment and performing minor repairs as directed ortrained. Actively and professionallytrains less experienced full time and temporary associates in order to meetand exceed the company’s production needs.
To perform this job successfully, this individualmust be able to perform each job duty satisfactorily. The requirements listedbelow are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilitiesto perform the essential job functions. The Thermoforming Operator’sessential job duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Observe,follow and model all safety policies and procedures at all times.
- Operatesthermoforming, extrusion, packaging, and material handling equipment asrequired in a safe and professional manner.
- May serve asacting-Production Senior Lead when the Production Senior Lead is not on thefloor.
- Requiredto be the “leader” of his/her machine and drive the company’s core principles,Safety, Quality, and Productivity.
- Directly lead and coach less experienced full time andtemporary associates.
- Report to appropriatemanagement personnel any policy violations, safety incidents, quality issues orother similar facts and circumstances that could either put other employeesand/or the Company in jeopardy.
- Demonstrate equipmentoperations, work and safety procedures to new Associates, or assign Associatesto experienced associates for training.
- Model appropriate andacceptable safety behaviors for associates by, for example, using all requiredpersonal protective equipment, performing job tasks in a safe manner, andfollowing all safety practices and procedures.
- Maintainsa clean working environment daily and conducts housekeeping audits.
- Work in a team environment led and directed by the ProductionSenior Lead, Production Supervisor and/or the Operations Manager.
- General knowledge of mechanical and processtroubleshooting.
- Continuous and willingness to learn the process.
- Thoroughly understands the production process as itpertains to thermoforming and/or extrusion to produce the highest quality parts.
- Conducts daily audits of process equipment by visuallyinspecting and testing machinery and production equipment.
- Conducts regular quality checks on manufactured productaccording to specifications.
- Monitors machines orequipment for alarms, indicators, and or unusual sounds to detect malfunctionand discusses machine operation variations with the Thermoforming Senior Leadand/or Technical Lead to diagnose problem or repair machine.
- Dismantlesdefective machines and equipment and installs new or repaired parts, asrequired by position assignment.
- Cleansand lubricates shafts, bearings, gears, and other parts of machinery.
- Work with other teammembers to complete tasks and achieve department goals.
- Follow instructionsand directions provided by Production Senior Leads, Production Supervisors, theOperations Manager and/or other members of management.
- Accuratelyretrieves, prepares, and labels all applicable product, materials, supplies andscrap.
- Accuratelycompletes all paper forms/inspections
- Maybe required to be certified to operate a forklift and/or perform some duties ofa Material Handler.
- Follow, comply withand model all company rules, policies and directives, including the AssociateHandbook.
- Attendwork as scheduledand/or requested by Production Senior Leads, Production Supervisors, theOperations Manager and/or other members of management.
This list of jobduties is not all-encompassing. Associates will be expected to perform allother duties that will be assigned as necessary.
RequiredPhysical and Mental Abilities:
The physical and mental abilities described here arerepresentative of those that must be met by an associate to successfullyperform the essential functions of the Thermoforming/Extrusion Operator position.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilitiesto perform the essential functions.
- General Physical Requirements – The ability tostand, walk, hear, and smell. The ability to use hands to finger, handle, orfeel and reach with hands and arms. The associate is occasionally required tosit, climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Lifting – The ability to occasionally lift and ormove up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and or move up to 25 pounds, andoccasionally lift and or move up to 50 pounds.
- Vision and Hearing – Specific vision abilities required by thisjob include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision,depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. In addition, good hearing isrequired.
- Manual Dexterity – The ability to quickly move your hand,your hand together with your arm or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, orassemble objects.
- Multi-limb Coordination – The ability to coordinate two ormore limbs (for example, two arms, two legs, or one arm and one leg) whilesitting, standing, or lying down. It does not involve performing the activitieswhile the whole body is in motion.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other peopleare saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questionsas appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Strength - The ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without 'giving out' or fatiguing.
- Trunk Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Speech Recognition - The ability to identify and understand the speech of another person.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
- Selective Attention – The ability to concentrate on a task over a period of time without being distracted.
- Problem Sensitivity – The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem only recognizing that there is a problem.
- Language Skills – Must be able to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos in English as required for work and business related purposes. Must also be able to write and communicate in English in simple correspondence and to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other associates as required for work-related tasks. Must also be able to understand and converse in English during emergencies and circumstances or situations where associates must be able to communicate to ensure the safety of themselves, other associates, and/or company property.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Decision making – When trying to make a good decision, a person must weigh the positives and negatives of each option, and consider all the alternatives. For effective decision making, a person must be able to forecast the outcome of each option as well, and based on these items, determine which option is best for the particular situation.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Time Management - Managing one's own timeand the time of others. Must have the ability to managemultiple, competing priorities and projects.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Positive Attitude - A mental attitude that interpretssituations and events as being best or optimized.
- Interpersonal Skills – The ability to take and directionand constructive criticism from peers, supervisors, and management whilemaintaining a positive outlook and attitude.
High School Diploma(or GED or High School Equivalence Certificate). Equivalent experience may besubstituted for educational requirement where associate demonstrates thenecessary skills and capability. Experience in manufacturing required; PlasticsThermoforming preferred.
Basiccomputer knowledge, including, but not limited to, the ability to use thecompany’s intranet and production software, including analysis and entry ofdata as required.
Theability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, andmemos in English. Ability to write inEnglish simple correspondence. Abilityto effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations tocustomers, clients, and other associates of the organization.
Theability to apply concepts such as addition, subtraction, division, fractions,percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Abilityto define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.The Associate must have the ability to interpret an extensive variety oftechnical instructions and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Thework environment characteristics described here are representative of those anAssociate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilitiesto perform the essential functions.
Whileperforming the duties of this job, the Associate is regularly exposed to movingmechanical parts. The Associate isoccasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles;risk of electrical shock; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The Associate will be exposed tohigh-pressure operating systems, including water, air, molten plastics andbutane. TheAssociate will be exposed to temperatures and atmospheric conditions typical ofa manufacturing environment, including excessively warm or cold temperatures.
This is not anall-encompassing list, and other duties will be assigned as required. Thisposition is a key position in the self-directed - teamwork driven productionenvironment of Republic Plastics. Anindividual in the Thermoforming/Extrusion Operator position will have to bededicated, responsible, highly motivated, safety and quality conscience, anddriven to exceed productivity and cost targets. The associate bonus program is driven by efficiency, quality, andproductivity.
Company Core Values:
Within our manufacturing organization and in adherence to our corporatevalues, we will treat each other and anyone who enters our facility with theutmost respect and dignity. All Associates are expected to endeavor to excelat, and hold each other to the following values in everything we do.
Safety – a commitment from each of us to follow rules andguidelines to ensure freedom from the occurrence or risk of injury, danger, orloss.
Teamwork - each of us doing our part to support the overall goal,which is to increase the profitability of the company and its associates.
Accountability - the willingness to accept responsibility forone's actions.
Positive Attitude - a state of mind inrelationship to our work environment and accomplishing our goals.
Quality/Excellence - the nature by which each ofour products, service and interaction can be identified as good or worthy.
Integrity/Honesty - adhering to a high set ofethical standards, the unimpaired state of continual improvement personally andprofessionally.
Commitment - pledging oneself to the cause or goal.