Appointment Type: Fulltime
PURPOSE: To develop and manage education programs including participants and an equal number of mentors. Education programs may include a wide range of educations initiatives such as scholarships fellowships, internships, and research participation programs sponsored by federal agencies, laboratories and other research facilities. Participants include undergraduate and graduate students, post graduates (BS, MS and PhD), faculty and visiting scientists. Responsibilities generally include developing, planning, coordinating and implementing new programs as well as the efficient and effective operation of ongoing programs as well as representing SAWD and ORAU in external venues including professional meetings, and site visits with potential and current customers. Daily interaction with sponsors, university and laboratory personnel, participants and the general public are an important aspect of the job.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Develops long range plans for the group and unit.
• Understands current issues and trends in higher education and uses them to promote, manage, evaluate, and develop programs. Understands issues relating to electronic applications and review of applications. Meets and establishes relationships with potential customers. Develops understanding of customer problems/needs and conceptualizes potential solutions. Using knowledge of program and organization competencies, matches capabilities with customer need.
• Promotes program and organization-wide teaming. Explores new funding opportunities.
Understands and monitors technical issues and current practices that affect funding in areas of expertise. Develops proposals (SOW, FWP, SPP, GSA, and letter contracts).
Program Implementation and Management
• Plans staff work activities and resources to meet customer requirements and agreed upon deliverables. Promotes customer focus and meets customers’ needs. Organizes staff activities to meet business objectives. Maintains frequent customer contact to assure work is acceptable and timely. Identifies and solves problems to maintain quality and customer satisfaction. Determines and interprets policies.
• Maintains quality control to meet DOE, ORAU, ORISE, and SAWD policies and procedures. Assures teaming/matrix management. Program management includes responsibility for stipend participant programs and other activities. Participants include the full range of undergraduate students, graduate students, postgraduate participants, postdoctoral researchers, faculty and visiting scientists. Resolves issues and problems for participants, mentors, and sponsors.
Project Related Professional and Technical Performance
Contributes to promoting, managing, evaluating and developing new programs and expanding work of existing programs by:
• Demonstrating and applying knowledge of current trends and issues in higher education as they relate to graduate and undergraduate education,
• Maintaining an understanding of federal science policy and the roles of university and laboratory R&D programs as they relate to federal research objectives,
• Keeping current with role of educational programs and sponsors within the federal laboratory system and anticipating changes,
• Demonstrating the ability to discuss scientific research projects with scientists to determine program needs,
• Understanding issues associated with electronic applications and review of applications. Completes assignments as part of the project team.
• Provides leadership to staff and conveys organization and group direction and assists staff in maximizing their contributions. Establishes clear expectations for staff and provides constructive feedback and praise. Empowers staff commensurate with their abilities. Facilitates coaching/mentoring relationships with staff to develop their potential.
• Establishes priorities for work schedules and resolves conflicts for staffing needs and related resources. Deals directly with performance problems and provides rational performance-related feedback.
• Coordinates with program sponsors to determine funding levels. Prepares and monitors budgets and controls expenditures in accordance with agreed upon deliverables and ORAU requirements.
• Approves appointments, travel, stipend authorizations, and other programmatic expenditures. Provides accurate cost reporting to sponsors.
Other Program Related Duties
Assists the associate director in integration of activities with the program as well as across the organization and in other areas. Assists the SAWD leadership, as requested, through performance of special assignments.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor's degree in business, scientific, technical, education or related field and 10 years of job related experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience performing duties as described may be substituted for the minimum requirements. A graduate degree or Project Management Professional certification is preferred. Experience in financial operations supporting ORAU programs is essential, preferred. Most interactions with people outside of ORAU involve individuals with advanced degrees (laboratory scientists, university personnel, administrators, and applicants/participants).The position requires knowledge of DOE, ORAU, ORISE, and SAWD policies and procedures (specifically, managing people and funds). In addition, experience in dealing with federal agencies is essential.
Other relevant experience needed to meet the demands of this position includes:
• Developing and implementing marketing and recruitment tools and strategies including social media
• Interacting with diverse groups of individuals from different educational and cultural backgrounds
• Making policy decisions
• Managing staff
• Participating in business development activities such as writing proposals, identifying potential clients and opportunities, and developing outreach efforts
• Making presentations
• Monitoring budgets
• Organizing and managing multiple projects and tasks
• Using commercially available and custom software programs for business communications, presentations, data analysis, and report preparation.
Location/Region: Oak Ridge