(Referral Coordinator/Patient Accounts)
Responsible for knowing referral requirements for multiple insurance carriers and obtaining any referrals needed prior to the patient’s appointment. Supports the Patient Accounts department by performing a variety of job duties as needed. Performs other clerical duties as directed.
Essential Functions and Key Responsibilities:
- Maintains a current knowledge of referral requirements for multiple insurance carriers.
- Reviews appointment lists and requests and obtains any necessary referrals prior to the patient’s appointment.
- Reviews patient balances prior to appointments in preparation for collecting these balances.
- Prepares secondary and worker’s compensation claims for filing.
- Submits patient refund requests to the CBO.
- Assists with research and follow-up on unpaid claims.
- Reviews the Invalid Address Report and attempts to find correct addresses for returned mail.
- Scans pre-certification authorizations and other correspondence.
Knowledge, Skills and Personal Characteristics
- Knowledge of insurance carrier referral requirements.
- Knowledge of billing policies, claims filing processes, and referral procedures.
- Knowledge of office equipment including computer, scanner, printer, copier, calculator and credit card machine.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in the use of the EHR software.
- Knowledge of HIPAA regulations. Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a busy work environment.
- Ability to interact with multiple departments.
- Exhibits strong problem solving skills.
- Exhibits strong communication and interpersonal skills when interacting with patients, physicians, and co-workers.
- Adheres to all policies and procedures, including but not limited to standards for safety, personal conduct, attendance, punctuality, and personal appearance.
- Assumes responsibility for personal development and own actions.
- Promotes good public relations and customer service at all times
Education and Experience
- High School diploma or GED
- Two years of experience in a medical office setting preferred.
Supervision Received: Reports to the Patient Accounts Supervisor.
Positions Supervised: None
About this company
OrthoTennessee brings together the area’s best orthopedic physicians in the Southeast. Our aim is to work together to provide the most up-to-date, extensive care for our patients. By combining our expertise, perspective is shared to create a wider, more inclusive knowledge of orthopedic medicine. In addition the feeling of community gained in our group helps foster communication and understanding on both sides. Our increased knowledge and communication guarantee our patients the most positive experience.