Responsible for assisting with Accounts Receivables (A/R) management at a particular practice location. Monitors all accounts with delinquent patient balances. Works closely with patients regarding their personal account balances, as well as with the front desk to collect balances. Responsible for knowing collection and bankruptcy policies.
Essential Functions and Key Responsibilities:
- Reviews A/R aging reports and begins the collection process based on practice billing guidelines.
- Counsels both self-pay patients and patients who have account balances after their insurance plan has paid.
- Verifies insurance benefits for the patient as needed.
- Reviews self-pay policies with patients and/or sets up payment plans.
- Contacts patients who have not made payments in response to statements or who are not following payment plan agreements.
- Assists the patient with payment options in an attempt to avoid collections whenever possible.
- Familiar with collection agency policies.
- Familiar with bankruptcy guidelines.
- Reviews patient accounts to determine appropriate recommendation concerning initiating the collection process. Gathers appropriate documentation of attempts to collect.
- Initiates the collection process as needed upon obtaining approval as required.
- Prepares write-off and refund requests as assigned.
- Responsible for verifying liability coverage/benefits, billing claims, and follow-up.
- Maintains a working relationship with the Front Desk staff to ensure their assistance in collecting past due balances. Educates the staff on collection policies.
- Serves as a resource for billing and collection information for patients, staff, and providers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Personal Characteristics
- Knowledge of OTN billing and collection policies.
- Knowledge of collection regulations.
- Knowledge of bankruptcy guidelines.
- Knowledge of revenue cycle management objectives.
- Ability to read and interpret billing reports.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in the use of the EHR software.
- Knowledge of HIPAA regulations. Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to discuss delinquent accounts with patients in a business-like manner while displaying diplomacy, tact, and sensitivity.
- Ability to read, understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a high volume busy work environment.
- Ability to speak clearly and concisely.
- Ability to interact with other departments.
- Exhibits strong communication and interpersonal skills when interacting with patients, physicians, and co-workers, and insurance companies.
- Adheres to all policies and procedures, including but not limited to standards for safety, personal conduct, attendance, punctuality, and personal appearance.
- Assumes responsibility for personal development and own actions.
- Promotes good public relations and customer service at all times.
Education and Experience
- High School diploma or GED.
- Medical billing and collection experience preferred.
Supervision Received: Reports to the Departmental Supervisor or Director
Positions Supervised: None
About this company
OrthoTennessee brings together the area’s best orthopedic physicians in the Southeast. Our aim is to work together to provide the most up-to-date, extensive care for our patients. By combining our expertise, perspective is shared to create a wider, more inclusive knowledge of orthopedic medicine. In addition the feeling of community gained in our group helps foster communication and understanding on both sides. Our increased knowledge and communication guarantee our patients the most positive experience.