Title: Visiting Instructor for Early Childhood Education
Anticipated Closing Date: 6/24/2018
Position Summary: Teach in the area of Early Childhood Education according to college policy.
Required Documents Needed at Time of Application: Resume and copy of unofficial transcripts for Master’s degree
Position #: 300280
Type of Appointment: Full-Time
Department: Natural & Behavioral Sciences
Typical Duties & Responsibilities:
A. Teaching (85%)
1. Teach Early Childhood Education according to college policy
2. Apply theories and principles of learning to instruction
3. Adapt instruction to the entry level knowledge and skills of students
4. Recommend course and program changes to the Academic Department Dean when appropriate
5. Develop syllabi which meet college requirements and student needs. Provide students with copies of a syllabus on the first day of classes
6. Use alternative instructional strategies where appropriate
7. Inform students of special instructional resources located in the Educational Resources Center and/or the Learning and Testing Center
8. Orient students to objectives and procedures before beginning instruction
9. Establish and communicate clearly defined grading procedures and standards
10. Use evaluations to revise and update content, objectives, and instructional strategies
11. Give examinations and other types of evaluations necessary to determine student level of performance and understanding
12. Keep students aware of their progress in the course
13. Perform record-keeping responsibilities related to teaching and advising
14. Respond in a timely fashion to all reasonable deadlines
15. Ability to teach online courses as needed
B. Advising (10%)
1. Be available to students by maintaining office hours which are reasonably convenient
2. Post and adhere to required office hours
3. Be knowledgeable of the College policies, procedures, and assistance available to students
4. Hold conferences with students as needed
C. Faculty Service (5%)
2. Use professional knowledge and skills to contribute to local and professional community activities whenever appropriate
3. Attend faculty meetings as scheduled
4. Contribute to the advancement of college goals through appropriate individual goals
D. Other objective to be agreed upon by faculty members and immediate supervisors in the development of personal, departmental, and divisional objectives
Note: the College reserves the right to change or reassign job duties, or combine positions at any time.
All full-time and part-time faculty must have completed at least 18 graduate semester hours in Early Childhood Education, Child & Family Studies, Child Development or closely related disciplines and hold a master’s degree from a regionally accredited college/university.
Applicants should note that Elementary Education or Educational Psychology graduate hours do not qualify.
Teaching experience in an Early Childhood Education program at a community college is preferred. Experience working in community-based early childhood education programs is preferred.
Pellissippi State Community College recognizes that the ability to communicate effectively is an essential skill for all academic personnel to perform competently. To ensure that all faculty are proficient in oral and written English, the following guidelines are to be used during the selection process to evaluate candidates:
a. Ability to speak and write English clearly;
b. Ability to understand written and spoken English; and
c. Ability to communicate effectively in an academic environment (for example, previous successful employment in an academic institution).
(Part-time work experience is calculated at 50% credit of full-time work experience)
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
A. Competence in teaching Early Childhood Education at the college level.
B. Ability to communicate effectively and to establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships.
C. Interest and willingness to learn and teach in an online environment.
D. Flexibility and innovation in instruction.
E. Appreciation of diversity.
Location of Position: Hardin Valley campus, with possibility of travel to other campuses or teaching evenings and weekends.
A summary of our benefits can be found on online: at http://www.pstcc.edu/hr/benefits.
Special Instructions to Applicants: To be considered for a position at Pellissippi State, you must create an on-line application. Your skills, abilities, qualifications, and years of experience will be evaluated using only what is recorded on your application. Please note: attaching a resume does not substitute for completion of the application form. Part-time work experience is calculated at 50% of full-time experience. Please note: to scan, upload, or attach documents, a computer and scanner are available at the Hardin Valley Campus Educational Resources Center, if needed.
Pellissippi State Community College is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA employer