Dean of Nursing
Position Summary: To provide leadership to the faculty in the Nursing Department and be responsible to the Vice President of Academic Affairs for the College for all academic, personnel, and budget concerns in the Division. Working in support of the mission and goals of the College, he/she serves as a member of the Vice President's staff and makes recommendations to the Vice President in the areas of curriculum, personnel, and budget. He/she also serves on the Deans Council, the Learning Council, and other committees/task forces as assigned.
Required Documents Needed at Time of Application: Resume and copy of unofficial transcripts for Master’s degree
Position #: 300010
Type of Appointment: Full-Time
Typical Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure continued quality and integrity of department courses and programs and of proposed courses and programs by overseeing the curriculum development process including facilitating the development and maintenance of course syllabi and updating departmental curricula.
- Supervise, observe, and evaluate performance of full-time faculty and staff, including program coordinators and support staff. Make recommendations for retention/promotion/tenure of departmental faculty. Assist with the recruitment, selection and orientation of departmental faculty.
- Oversee and approve the staffing of departmental program areas.
- Serve as facilitator for department faculty and as a liaison between faculty and administration to maintain a communication system that involves faculty in the decision-making process.
- Provide leadership in budget development, resource management, and strategic and operational planning, including coordinating the development, implementation and evaluation of departmental goals in support of those of the College.
- Mediate and resolve student and faculty concerns, conflicts, complaints, grievances, schedule problems, etc.
- Facilitate advising process by overseeing advisor scheduling, reviewing intents to graduate for students assigned to Nursing advisors, assisting in awarding of transfer credit and course substitutions.
- Interact with other departments of the College as needed in order to schedule and staff classes offered by the department.
- Maintain liaison between college and clinical agencies and other nursing educational programs.
- Maintain accreditation standards established by the Tennessee Board of Nursing and Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
- Perform varied administrative duties as necessary, including attending meetings, interacting with other departments of the college and with other entities in TBR and the community.
- Support and encourage professional development of departmental faculty. Participate in professional organizations as relevant.
- Conduct meetings within the department as needed on a regular basis.
- Teach in area of competence according to College policy – one course per academic year.
- Encourage and support grant-writing among discipline coordinators and faculty and participate in collaborative grant proposals with area colleges, universities and agencies.
- Understand and follow the policies and procedures of the College and TBR.
Note: the College reserves the right to change or reassign job duties, or combine positions at any time.
A. Master’s degree in Nursing or related discipline.
B. Current Tennessee Registered Nurse Licensure (or licensure eligible)
C. Supervisory/leadership experience
D. Four years full-time teaching experience in Nursing or related discipline at the community college level or college level.
E. Demonstrated success in one or more of the following areas: course development, program development, developing partnerships with K-12, developing partnerships with institutions of higher education, developing community partnerships.
F. Demonstrated ability to work with departmental faculty and other constituents of the community in course and curriculum development and evaluation.
(Part-time work experience is calculated at 50% credit of full-time work experience)
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
A. A commitment to excellence in teaching, lifelong learning and the community college philosophy of providing education and service for a culturally diverse student population.
B. Experience with nursing accreditation processes.
C. Ability to maintain an environment of respect among students, faculty and staff.
D. Should demonstrate evidence of the administrative, leadership, and interpersonal skills needed to manage a department.
E. Should demonstrate maturity and initiative required to lead department through necessary changes in delivery and technology in response to student needs.
Work Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Location of Position: Pellissippi State Community College Magnolia Avenue Campus, Blount County Campus, and Strawberry Plains Campus. Travel within the college’s two-county service area and to other TBR and vendor sites will be required.
Pay Rate: $74,490 - $94,350.00/per year. Pay will be determined based on related work experience above required. To be considered in determining pay, all related work experience must be listed on the application.
A summary of our benefits can be found on online: at http://www.pstcc.edu/hr/benefits.
Special Instructions to Applicants: To be considered for a position at Pellissippi State, you must create an on-line application. Your skills, abilities, qualifications, and years of experience will be evaluated using only what is recorded on your application. Please note: attaching a resume does not substitute for completion of the application form. Part-time work experience is calculated at 50% of full-time experience. Please note: to scan, upload, or attach documents, a computer and scanner are available at the Hardin Valley Campus Educational Resources Center, if needed.
Pellissippi State Community College is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA employer
Location/Region: Knoxville, TN