The patient care coordinator”
The optometric assistant is responsible for keeping patient visits on track and recording information vital to the doctor’s care. The job requires the ability to move quickly, think on the run, and be aware of situations. Experience recording data into EHR is very helpful and the ability to learn, attention to detail, and a heart of care is required.
- Verifies patient information by interviewing patient; recording medical history; confirming purpose of visit.
- Checks condition of patients’ eyes by observing pupils, muscle, visual acuity, extraocular movements, blood pressure.
- Prepares patients for eye examination by dilating their pupils; reporting patient history summary, changes in visual acuity, elevated extraocular pressure, or blood pressure to the eye doctor.
- Saves eye doctor time by helping with office procedures
- Secures patient information and maintains patient confidence by completing and safeguarding medical records; completing diagnostic coding and procedure coding; keeping patient information confidential.
- Counsels patients by transmitting physician’s orders, use of drops, contact lenses, drugs, and questions about surgery.
- Schedules surgeries by making arrangements with the surgical center; verifying times with patients; preparing charts, pre-admission and consent forms.
- Maintains safe, secure, and healthy work environment by establishing and following standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock; placing orders; verifying receipt.
- Keeps equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications.
- Serves and protects the eye care practice by adhering to professional standards, policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements.
- Enhances eye care practice reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
To be considered, please submit your resume AND follow the link below to submit an application.
Volunteer Eyecare is a locally owned and operated eye care practice serving Knoxville, Tennessee and the surrounding communities since 2002.
Location/Region: Maryville, TN (US)